Eczema is one of the most chronic skin infections and results in numerous scars all over your body. It produces terrible inflammation on your skin’s outer layer. It can affect people of all ages and can cause quite a bit of misery. The disease’s intensity increases at some life stages and it requires intense treatment. Eczema could be triggered as an allergic response to different situations and substances. It often stems from an unbalanced immune system, causing scaly, itchy, dry patches of skin. Here are the remedies to get rid of eczema scars.
1. Honey and Sugar
The first and foremost remedy for eczema scars is honey which is popularly used to treat a variety of skin infections by folks. With its antiseptic, soothing and antibacterial properties, honey could decrease eczema and heal eczema scars to a huge extent (1). After washing the affected areas of the body, spread honey on them.
Adding crystallized sugar to honey is a good idea as well. Scrub the scars with this mixture and rinse using cold water after ten minutes. Practice this remedy routinely until you get rid of eczema scars for good.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera can be used to manage eczema symptoms both externally and internally. It is known to carry antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Aloe vera works well in soothing eczema as it rehydrates the skin and works wonders in controlling the dryness caused by eczema itself (2).
Moisturized skin will cause less itching and scratching. If aloe is applied and left overnight, it can lighten the scars. The composition of the gel helps slough off dead skin cells and supports regeneration of new skin cells. Further, the intake of aloe vera helps build a strong immunity and defense against microbial attack.
- Take an aloe vera leaf, preferably a long piece.
- Cut in half.
- Scoop both sides onto a plate or in a bowl.
- Apply onto your skin.
- Leave at night for the scars to lighten.
3. Lemon Juice
Using lemon juice is another effective remedy for eczema scars. This juice contains acidic components which acts as a naturally powerful antiseptic to aid in lightening the spots on your skin. Besides, lemon juice is also loaded with various biological properties that can also be used to heal eczema scars. This treatment works brilliantly and is very easy to apply.
- Apply fresh lemon juice onto the affected area twice daily and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can exfoliate the skin with a mixture of one part lemon juice and one part sugar.
- Use this remedy few times a week before going to bed.
However, there may be a burning sensation. It burns because the lemon is removing the inflammation trapped under your skin.
4. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil can work as a strong natural treatment to get rid of eczema scars. It soothes skin irritation and reduces further risk of infection. Coconut oil helps in keeping your skin hydrated, which is helpful in controlling atopic dermatitis (3). It helps reduce bacteria, viruses, and fungi as it contains lauric acid (4). It also reduce pain and discomfort experienced in eczema (5).
- Rub your scars using coconut oil.
- Apply this remedy daily.
- It moisturizes the skin and fades away the eczema scars in time.
5. Oatmeal Bath
Oatmeal includes natural cleansing agents which are extensively used to soothe itchy and irritated skin. It has antioxidants and phenols, which work together to cleanse and nourish the skin (6). Bathing in oatmeal regularly can help you get rid of eczema scars gradually.
- Fill an old cotton sock or nylon knee-high sock with organic steel-rolled oats and tie it over the tap of your bathtub, letting the water run through the oats.
- Relax in this water for the best results.
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda works as a natural exfoliant and proves to be a beneficiary eczema scar removal remedy. Being different from the other exfoliants in the market, baking soda soothes the sensation of itching.
There are various uses of baking soda you can take advantage of, and one of them is treating eczema scars. Specifically, it helps remove those dead skin cells, thereby brightening the dark scars and also reduce itching.
- Mix one tablespoon water with two tablespoons baking soda.
- Massage this mixture on your eczema scars for three minutes in circular motions.
- Wash it using lukewarm water.
- Apply this remedy daily
7. Olive Oil
Olive oil contains anti-inflammatory effects that could help in relieving the symptoms of eczema. Moreover, it helps soften the human skin, decrease redness and remove eczema scars (7).
It is a rich source of antioxidants, specifically squalene and tyrosol. These antioxidants help increase the flow of blood to the scar cells, thus, fading their appearance. Olive oil is also considered as a good moisturizing agent because of its ability to reach out to the innermost skin layers.
- Massage extra virgin olive oil on the eczema scars.
- Place a hot washcloth over them till it becomes cold.
- Next, wash it using lukewarm water.
- Apply this remedy twice a day.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is famous for its antifungal and antibacterial properties. Having antifungal, astringent, and antibacterial properties, apple cider vinegar could help in decreasing eczema condition and reducing eczema scars as well.
- Mix equal amounts of water and apple cider vinegar.
- Apply the mixture on your skin directly. That way, you can help decrease dryness and itchiness.
9. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is an effective home remedy for eczema scars that you can consider following at home without worrying about causing side effects. Jojoba oil is best suited to treat any skin condition – from sunburn to eczema. This is because it is the only oil that closely resembles the human sebum.
Jojoba oil has wax esters that get easily absorbed in the skin. It has anti-inflammatory effects and can soothe any skin condition. It improves the absorption rate of other topical creams and ointments (8).
- Simply massage the eczema scars gently with jojoba oil three times a day.
10. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel can be used to get rid of eczema scars mostly around eyes. It has anti-inflammatory properties and works like magic to soothe inflammation and any skin-related issues, such as rashes and eczema (9).
- Dilute witch hazel with water and apply to the affected area directly or use it in wet compresses.
11. Almond Oil
Almond oil is enriched with various neutral lipids. These fatty acids are well known for reducing the appearance of the eczema scars.
- Massage your scars with almond oil so you can rupture the rigid scar tissue, stimulating healing.
Alternatively, you can use almond leaves, as well:
- Crush several almond leaves in water to create a fine paste.
- Then, apply this paste to ease your itchiness and irritation.